Monday, 4 November 2013

Nanotech Systems - Week I - 3 years ago

Survived the first week, only 14 more weeks of this semester to go.

This week comes to a close with three math assignments, an electromag assignment all due on Monday. Plus there are three or four labs to prepare for and a quiz on Monday and Thursday.

Tomorrow I will complete the rest of my assignments, finish preparing for the labs and then review everything one more time. As part of the program I'm taking, there are information seminars that assist students with things such as memory and concentration, procrastination and time management and so forth. Part of this series indicated the importance of reviewing on a nightly basis, as 80% of the material is forgotten unless you keep up with this regimen.

Also, memory tricks such as the roman room method seem to work well for me. To briefly explain, if one must remember a list of items (which I will need to for digital systems and electromag) one visualizes the room they spend the most time in, and take the items they need to remember and place them in that room.

For example, three days ago, in the session I needed to remember the list:
Pumpkin, keys, envelope, shirt, stump, car, and flowers. To do so I made up a story about how I came home to find a smashed pumpkin all over my new bedspread, threw my keys down in disgust as I noticed an unpaid bill in the envelope. As if that weren't bad enough, there was a spot on my favorite blue shirt, a stump from my rose bush the dog had drug in, managed to step on a car that the grandbaby had left behind and the flowers my husband gave me (which I had dried two years ago were obliterated by the cat). While I was skeptical of the method initially, the fact that I still remember this obscure list 3/4 days later is a testimony unto itself.


I still have a few questions left, but also managed to briefly glance through the labs, and organize things into proper binders etc.

I keep reminding myself that I quit my job on account of this, and that to give it anything less than my absolute all would be both foolish and a waste of money.

Must keep focused.

No comments:

Post a Comment