It's been an interesting semester, and a difficult one in some aspects. Calculus caused me a great deal of difficulty, and I find myself having to redo it. C'est la vie. I'm a biologist not a mathematician! I also find myself having quite a bit of fun (tongue in cheek) with organic chemistry, with naming conventions, alkanes, alkenes, alkynes, and the sort --- those aren't half bad, but the reactions seem to confuse the hell out of me. I've studied my hind end off, and I'm set to write the exam this afternoon and I cannot help but wonder how poorly I will do on this one LOL.
When you cover 25 chapters in less than 15 weeks, you either sink or swim. I seem to be doing a belly flop, kind of head half in, head half out and there's a lot of pain involved in the whole process. I did swimmingly well at the laboratory portion of my organic chem, and had good knowledge and understanding - it's just I can't remember worth shiznit the whole....swack of naming conventions and common names each of the little bastiges have. I can say with certainty though, that I can name them.....just not properly LMBO!
I also find myself faced with a couple of decisions. I had applied for a position that pays very well, but it's in my old field and I find myself thinking about advancing age, retirement and accruing money toward it. I'm set to go to the interview tomorrow and I'm kind of hoping I DON'T get it! LOL. The money is excellent and the job security choice, but it's in a field I hate.
I love the sciences, and while I do have to work at them, nothing worth doing is ever really that easy in my estimation.
I've also discovered that I really hate anything to do with electronics. I don't care about op-amp amplifiers - yes I know they amplify small signals and turn them into larger ones, and know more about BJT's and MOSFETS than I care to. Again, refer to the statement above, I am a biologist!!!! Not an electrician, or electrically inclined. The ONLY, and only possible interest I may have in an electronic device is purely for entertainment purposes, and possibly medicinal ones. I'm thrilled by thought of a biosensor that is capable of reading levels of blood constituents without withdrawing blood, but I don't know if I will ever see that in my lifetime.
So first year is done, all but the exams and I'm at the same point I was a year ago, wanting to finish (sort of) and finding the course work difficult in some respects. The only easy thing I've done this sememster is materials science, and molecular biology. I'm not certain I'd even be a credit to this field - my mind just isn't on the same playing field sort of speak.
What to do, what to do. Praying worked last time, heh. Guess I know now what to do.
No comments:
Post a Comment